If the TEXTBOOK LINK WORKS, you may do this assignment from Chapter 3, Minerals. If it does not work OR you find the other link below more interesting, you may do that assignment instead.
1) Referring to 3.2.2 in http://opengeology.org/textbook/ (Links to an external site.) explain how the mineral olivine forms, what elements it is made of and why two particular elements in it are said to be in â€œsolid solution.â€
2) Referring to 3.3 in http://opengeology.org/textbook/ (Links to an external site.) explain what the silicon-oxygen tetrahedron is, what it is made of and how it contributes to making a variety of silicate minerals.
The Other Linkâ€¦
1) What are the temperature and pressure conditions in the lower mantle and how deep is this inside the earth?
2) What is scientist Dan Frostâ€™s hypothesis about how carbon became available to make diamonds in the earth in ancient times?
3) Why could any living thing be made into a diamond and what about the chemistry of peanut butter makes the diamond formation process â€œmessy?â€