The Discussion Board (DB) is part of the core of online learning. Classroom discussion in an online environment requires the active participation of students and the instructor to create robust interaction and dialogue. Every student is expected to create an original response to the open-ended DB question as well as engage in dialogue by responding to posts created by others throughout the week. At the end of each unit, DB participation will be assessed based on both level of engagement and the quality of the contribution to the discussion.
At a minimum, each student will be expected to post an original and thoughtful response to the DB question and contribute to the weekly dialogue by responding to at least two other posts from students. The first contribution must be posted before midnight (Central Time) on Friday of each week. Two additional responses are required after Friday of each week. Students are highly encouraged to engage on the Discussion Board early and often, as that is the primary way the university tracks class attendance and participation.
The purpose of the Discussion Board is to allow students to learn through sharing ideas and experiences as they relate to course content and the DB question. Because it is not possible to engage in two-way dialogue after a conversation has ended, no posts to the DB will be accepted after the end of each unit.
Library Research Assignment
Using the course materials, library, Web resources, and textbook, list and discuss 4 specific methods in which penology could be used to obtain more effective outcomes in the criminal justice system. Outcomes could include the following:
- Fewer repeat offenses
- Crime reduction
- Fewer prison and jail inmates
Use at least 1 reference to support your arguments.
- Research the contemporary theories of punishment, and gather at least 2 resources to help support your arguments.
- In 4â€“6 paragraphs, address the following:
- What 4 specific methods have you selected that could possibly be used to improve the criminal justice system?
- Why do you feel these methods could result in improvement?
- Post a new topic to the Discussion Board that contains your responses pertaining to the above information.
- Comment on at least 2 other students’ posts in a manner that encourages further discussion. Consider explaining whether or not you agree with their proposed methods of improving the criminal justice system.
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.
In your own words, please post a response to the Discussion Board and comment on 2 other postings. You will be graded on the quality of your postings.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.