For this assignment, you will attend a group session, which will be your second group session in this course. The group may be a community-based group, a school-related group, a private practice group, an area support group, or other appropriate counseling group. Do not attend a 12-step group as this will likely be an assignment in another counseling course. You can attend the same group twice or go to two different groups. However, you should not attend two online groups. So if the first observed group was online, this one should be in person. You are responsible for making arrangements to attend groups. Exercise judgment in selecting the group to attend. For example, one would need permission from the group leader to attend a meeting of a suicide survivors’ group, but attending an open weight watchers meeting would be much easier.
specifying the type of group, location of meeting, and anticipated date and time of attendance. No identifying information about group participants must appear in the paper. Be prepared to make changes if the instructor offers suggestions.
Once the group is approved, attend the session and write a report on the following:
- Analyze the current stage of the group and what you believe would help the group to function more effectively.
- Characterize the type of group session. (What issue or process occurred as the focus of the session?)
- Detail the group counseling theory that was being applied in the group session.
- Describe the techniques that were employed by the group leader during the session.
- Determine whether the desired group outcomes were achieved. Explain how the group leader’s behavior influenced these outcomes.
- Reflect on future directions for this group (i.e., possible next sessions).
- Describe any crisis that occurred and any crisis management techniques that were employed during the session.
- Compare and contrast the group leadership style you observed in the first group and in the second group. From your observation of group leaders and group dynamics, explain what worked and what did not work.
(Note the additional criteria on crisis management and comparison of groups.)
Your paper should be a 3- to 4-page Microsoft Word document, citing a minimum of two scholarly sources. Be sure you write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Use the current APA format.